My Travels

July 22, 2012

Creepy Crawlies Redux

Two nights ago, Che and I were in our shared room reading, as we usually do, before bed. I lay in bed starring at the electronic pages of 50 Shades of Grey on the iPad, and something black against the tall, white ceiling caught my eye. Curious, I looked at Che and asked what she thought it was. She said it was probably a spot on the ceiling and to forget about it. I buried my nose in my book again. A few minutes later, I glanced up and noticed the spot had moved. We spotted the new resting place of the black spot, and starred incredulously as it started to fly!

A beetle, perhaps? Che pulled out her iPad and I, my netbook, and did a quick Google search, which quickly revealed that creepy crawly in question was in fact, a cockroach. Being a big city girl, I have never crossed paths with one of these previously. Simply looking at it scared the bejeezus outta me. We wikipedia'ed cockroaches and learned that they're nocturnal. Once the lights are off, they scurry about in the dark.

Unanimously, we decided that we would sleep with the lights on. I had my eye mask, so I didn't mind the lights being on. I quickly pulled on my leggings, socks, and a cardigan as a precaution.

The next morning, the lil fcuker was nowhere to be seen - that's the worst part! I cautiously crept into the washroom. Then, it was Che's turn. When she came out, she said, "It's in there!" The cockroach had crawled from under our wardrobe, under the washroom door and was under the vanity.

Che kept an eye on it, while I bolted downstairs to Sherri's room. Sherri thought I was making a pleasant morning visit, but I quickly broke it to her, "Come quick! I need you to catch a cockroach!" I don't know many women who are not afraid of insects, so that makes Sherri one brave princess! She came up, wet hair and all, and in one swift motion, stepped on the lil sucker with her sandal. She then picked it up.

Later that day, I went to loo and inadvertently looked into the garbage can. There, on top was the cockroach, smushed, on its back with its disgusting lil legs pointing up at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment