My Travels

July 29, 2012

Project Completion

Project Overseas in Grenada was completed on July 28. The CTF seeks to advance progress on poverty reduction and sustainable development as part of Canada's commitment and contribution to the United Nation's international Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and Education for All targets. This has been achieved in partnership with national and regional teacher organizations to build capacity among teachers in Africa, Asia, South America, and the Caribbean.

I am so thrilled to have been a small part of reaching this international goal in Grenada. In my team leader's final speech, she broke it down using numbers to demonstrate the breadth of our reach this summer in Grenada alone. 140 Grenadian teachers participated in our professional development program this summer. If each of those teachers share what they've learned with 10 other teachers, and then pass on that knowledge to 25 students, 35 000 students would be touched.

It's been an invaluable professional development opportunity for me. I've met educator leaders in their field from across Canada, and have come to know the education system in Grenada. I've also hit a low point when I had over 45 sand fly and mosquito bites on my legs. I was disheartened by the pain and unsightliness of the blood red spots, and at one point, was brought to tears. But I wouldn't allow myself the option of coming home. As soon as I taught my first class, I knew that I was meant to be there! Even though my summer "officially" starts now, I can't imagine to have done anything else in July.

Our flight in a Dash-8 from Grenada to Barbados

No comments:

Post a Comment