My Travels

July 19, 2012

Aquarium Restaurant, St. Georges, Grenada, West Indies

Last night, we had our best meal yet in Grenada. We thought Umbrellas Restaurant along Grand Anse Beach hit the spot, but that was before Aquarium. We went there on a recommendation from our trusty and well loved driver, Bassanio. We were driven through the gates and walked into the open air dining area. Right away, we heard DJ Casper's Cha Cha Slide, and those who know it, know how infectious the dance can be! Sherri and I immediately busted a move in the middle of the restaurant, and good ol' Team Grenada soon joined in. The wait staff must've thought we were intoxicated.

We were seated in a gazebo overlooking the beach. The scene reminded me of an episode of the Bachelor where they would go on one-on-one dates. For the first time since I've been in Granada, I was finally able to order a white fish - mahi mahi! The carrot & ginger soup made me break out in a hot flash. Noone else seemed to enjoy my Sea Breeze cocktail (vodka, orange & grapefruit juices) as much as I did, and when a second glass was brought out, only my new friend Che was able to down it.

Our team reflected on our time in Grenada, in particular, our teaching assignments. I shared that my participants have indicated how appreciative they are of the new knowledge they are gaining from my course. I'm learning to adapt to the working style of my Grenadian co-teacher. I have to learn to let go of my type A work habits and go with the flow. I've overcome my lowest point, dealing with my numerous insect bites, and am cruising in good spirits. What I've gained the most from volunteering abroad is the dialogue that we're able to share with our Canadian team, and sharing best teaching & administrative practices across our respective provinces, giving a somewhat national perspective of education in our country. That's valuable professional development :)


We're so blessed to have been assigned to such beautiful surroundings in which to volunteer! It doesn't even feel like work being here! We teach our courses from 9:00 to 1:30 (my course runs 'til 2), and we have the rest of the day to lime, and wine & dine every evening.







1 comment: